News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.
Increase in thefts has been attributed to a rise in the public’s use of these types of vehicles as an economical and fuel efficient alternative to automobiles and their ready availability to would be thieves.
Crime Prevention Measures To Discourage Motorcycle and Scooter Theft:
On August 9, 2012, District III detectives met with the media in an attempt to provide the citizens of Hillsborough crime prevention measures to decrease the number of motorcycle and scooter thefts.
During the first half of 2012, overall crime in Hillsborough County has decreased 5.5% compared to the first half of 2011. For the same time period in northwest Hillsborough County the theft of motorcycles and especially scooters, has increased 10%. This increase in thefts has been attributed to a rise in the public’s use of these types of vehicles as an economical and fuel efficient alternative to automobiles and their ready availability to would be thieves.
Hillsborough deputies have made several recent arrests, but this trend has continued through July and deputies are asking that citizens make these types of vehicles less inviting to would be thieves.
Listed below are few theft prevention tips:
1. If you leave your scooter outside, use a lock to secure it.
2. Shut off the ignition and remove the key.
3. Deploy an audible alarm system.
4. Keep your cycle in view if possible.
5. Mark your motorcycle/scooter with a unique identification.
6. Take photos of your motorcycle/scooter and store in a secure place.
7. Lock your steering, wheels and disks.
8. Use a hidden ignition switch.
9. Chain your motorcycle/bicycle.