News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.
The Community Outreach Division offers suggestions for protecting your home and property.
To All Neighborhood Watch Coordinators & Participants:
The Hillsborough Country Sheriff's Office would like urge everyone in the area to remain extra vigilant and remember to follow good crime preventative and residential security practices, such as:
- Keep your garage door closed, when the garage is not in use. If the garage is in use, never leave your garage left unattended.
- Be sure to lock any doors that lead from the garage to the interior of your residence and/or set your residential alarm to "chime", if that door is opened.
- Lock your car doors! If you park your car in the driveway, hide and secure your garage door openers in the glove box and lock it!
- Secure any valuable items that you keep in your garage (bicycles, yard tools, golf clubs, etc.) Try to keep these items out of site whenever the garage is open by keeping them covered up and/or otherwise concealed.
- Be neighborly and spread the word! If you see that your next door neighbor or someone else on your street has left their garage door open, please let them know about it and urge them to be cautious. 9 times out of 10, they just forgot to close the door.
- Be aware of any suspicious persons, vehicles, or activity in the neighborhood and immediately report it to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Non-emergency dispatch, (813) 247-8200. In the event of an emergency or a crime-in-progress, please dial 911!
In addition, citizens can also receive the latest news, alerts, and other useful information through the use of the HCSO's public and social networking sites on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. For more, please visit the following websites: