News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's assistance for any information to help solve the disappearance of two women.
Doris Wade Carter
1504 McLin Drive
Plant City, Florida
4802 51st Street West, Apt. 615
Updated Photos Of Missing Women:
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's assistance in helping solve the disappearance of two women. One of the women, Kelly Moriarty's severed leg was found on December 27, 2011 washed ashore at 6990 4th Street in St. Petersburg, Florida.
The below information is a time line of events in the disappearance of these two women;
* According to the live in daughter of Doris Carter she last saw her mother and Kelly Moriarty at their Plant City home on the evening of December 16, 2011. She said when she woke up on the morning of December 17th, both women were gone and so was Kelly Moriarty's car. Both women have been romantically involved for the past two years.
* December 20, 2011, Manatee County Sheriff's Office spotted Moriarty's car abandoned on the side of S.R. 62 in Parrish and places a red tag in the window for the owner to move the car.
* Dec 27, 2011, a severed leg washes ashore behind at 6990 4th Street South in St. Petersburg.
* Dec 29, 2011, Manatee County Sheriff's Office impounds Moriarty's vehicle off SR 62 in Parrish and holds the car in their impound lot.
* Jan 27, 2012 apartment manager where Kelly Moriarty lives contacts Kelly Moriarty's brother who is listed on her lease as the emergency contact. The management explains that she has not paid her rent and they can't make contact with her. Moriarty's brother shows up at the apartment complex and conducts a welfare check. Inside Moriarty's apartment nothing appears to be disturbed and a Christmas tree still up with unopened Christmas packages. Moriarty is then reported missing to the Bradenton Police Department.
* Jan 28, 2012, Bradenton PD responds to the home of Doris Carter in Plant City and talks with Doris Carter's daughter. The daughter indicates she hasn't seen her mother since she left with Moriarty on Dec 16-17, 2011. The daughter indicates that her mother and Moriarty are romantically involved and it was not uncommon for both of them to be away for extended periods of time.
* Jan 29, 2012, the daughter of Doris Carter contacts HCSO and reports her mother missing. HCSO detectives start investigating Carter's disappearance and learn that Bradenton PD has an active missing person's investigation of Kelly Moriarty.
* Shortly thereafter, HCSO learns that Moriarty's car was impounded on December 20, 2011 and was being held in the impound lot of the Manatee County Sheriff's Office. HCSO detectives execute a search warrant on Moriarty's car and process the car with HCSO Crime Scene technicians. No evidence of a crime is found.
* During an unrelated HCSO death investigation, detectives with the St. Petersburg Police Department inform HCSO detectives of the recovered leg found in St. Petersburg to determine if there is any connection. Detectives determined the leg was not involved in the unrelated investigation but began looking into the connection of any possibility the leg was connected to the missing women. HCSO detectives supplied DNA samples from both women's families to the Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office for comparison to the severed leg found in St. Petersburg.
* March 23, 2012, Pinellas ME's Office notified HCSO that based on DNA evidence the leg belonged to Kelly Moriarty.
Detectives have not determined where the initial crime scene of where the leg was severed. Detectives are looking for anyone who may have any information related to the disappearance of these two women.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office at 813-247-8200.