Hillsborough County
David Gee, Sheriff
Tampa, FL
  • News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
    Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.

    Release Number: 13-359

    • For Immediate Release:
    • Public Information Office of Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
    • September 11, 2013
    • Contact Person:
    • Public Information Office : piooffice@hcso.tampa.fl.us
    • 813/247-8060

    Armed Home Invasion And Sexual Battery

    Suspect was shot and killed after firing upon law enforcement.
    • Thursday
    • September 5, 2013
    • Time: 10:30 PM
    • Hillsborough County


    Charlie Christopher Bates (Deceased)
    DOB: 2/26/1989


    Why/How: On September 5, 2013, at 11 p.m. Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office was notified by Florida Hospital that two females were reporting that they had been sexually battered. When deputies arrived at the hospital they actually identified four female victims related to the same event.

    Based on the victim's interviews, deputies went back to the incident scene at the Cambridge Wood Apartments and located four males who had freed themselves after they were tied up during the sexual assault of the four females. The four males stated the incident occurred about 10:30 p.m. but they were threatened by the suspect, later identified as Charlie Bates, not to call the police for at least 30 minutes or he would come back and kill them.

    At approximately 11:00 p.m., Bates confronted a female victim sitting outside her apartment at the Eagle’s Point Apartments and forced her at gunpoint back inside her apartment. Victim started praying with Bates who left without assaulting victim.

    About 12:15 a.m., Bates went to Oaks Apartment across the street from the Cambridge Woods Apartments and entered an apartment where a party was occurring. Bates forced 25 people into bedroom and fired one shot into the floor. He left then scene without taking anything.

    As he exited the apartment, he ran into a man coming to the party and the suspect tried to rob him at gunpoint. The victim ran to his apartment and Bates fired 3 shots at him. The victim made it to his apartment and made it inside. Bates fired one shot into the door and then fled.

    A massive manhunt began, with the assistance of the Tampa Police Department, the Florida Highway Patrol, The University of South Florida Police, the Florida Department of law Enforcement, U.S. Marshals Task Force and others.

    At approximately 12:30 p.m., Bates was spotted driving a friend’s vehicle in the area of Temple Terrace. A pursuit was initiated that lasted approximately 10 minutes. During the pursuit, Bates fired multiple rounds at pursuing law enforcement officers through the back window of his car. The pursuit was ended after police conducted a PIT maneuver on US Hwy 301 just north of Interstate 4.

    Bates vehicle ended up crashing and a gunfight ensued between Bates and 7 law enforcement officers that included two Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputies.

    Bates was shot multiple times and died a short time after he arrived at Tampa General Hospital. No law enforcement officers or citizens were injured in the pursuit or in the gunfight.

    All the law enforcement personnel involved in the shooting were placed on routine administrative leave pending a ruling from the Hillsborough County State Attorney's office.
  • Sheriff David Gee
    Sheriff David Gee
Sheriff's Operations Center
Sheriff's Operations Center
  • Emergencies
  • 911
  • Non-Emergencies
  • (813) 247-8200
  • Crime Stoppers
  • (800) 873-8477
  • HCSO Telephone Directory
  • Click Here...
Orient Road Jail
Copyright © 2016 Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office all rights reserved.  Terms of Use | Privacy Policy