News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.
Deputies will be holding a free bicycle registration event at Westchase Elementary School on Saturday from 9:00 am until 12:00 pm.
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office will be holding a free bicycle registration event at Westchase Elementary School located at 9517 W. Linebaugh Avenue in Tampa.
Why Register Your Bike:
Should a bicycle be lost or stolen, the best way to help the Sheriff's Office locate, identify, and return a bicycle to it's rightful owner is to register it. Deputies will be on hand to help you register your bicycle with the Bicycle Registration Program. A registration number will be assigned to your bicycle and the information is entered into our records management system. Simply by registering your bicycle, YOU are helping to deter bicycle theft!
Tips To Protect Your Bike:
- Always secure your bicycle with an adequate bike lock or locks, before leaving it unattended.
- Whenever possible, try to park and secure your bicycle in a high traffic, highly visibility area.
- Try not to engage in “flyparking” by securing your bicycle to any item not specifically designed for bicycle parking, such as a tree, signpost, park bench, etc.
- Whenever possible, secure your bicycle to a standard Sheffield or “П” shaped bike stand designed for bicycle parking.
- Lock your bicycle through the frame and both wheels to a bicycle rack or stand.
- Combined usage of both a cable lock and “U‐bolt” shaped lock is recommended as a best practice for securing your bicycle.
If your Bike is Stolen:
According to the national average, only 56% of all bicycle thefts are ever reported to law enforcement. If you don't report it, law enforcement cannot be aware of the problem. A registration number will be assigned to your bicycle and the information will be entered into our records management system. Simply by registering your bicycle,YOU are helping to deter bicycle theft!
In the event that your bicycle becomes lost or stolen, immediately report it to the Sheriff's Office via Non-Emergency Dispatch at (813) 2478200. In the event of an emergency or a crime in progress, please dial 911!