Chad Chronister, Sheriff
News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.
Release Number: 18-136
- For Immediate Release:
- Public Information Office of Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
- February 8, 2018
- Contact Person:
- Public Information Office : firstname.lastname@example.org
Florida State Fair Student Day
The Sheriff's Office and Fair Authority are working closely to ensure the safety of those attending the fair on Student Day.
- February 9, 2018
- Time: 12:00 AM
- Florida State Fair
- 4800 US Hwy 301
- Tampa, Florida
Due to the enhanced security measures implemented in 2017, last year the Florida State Fair enjoyed a 40% overall reduction in trespass warnings and arrests. The foundation of the success was a joint policy between all stakeholders to immediately address disruptive behavior.
The 2018 Florida State Fair Student Day is scheduled for Friday, February 9, 2018. The Sheriff's Office and Fair Authority are working closely to ensure the safety of those attending the fair on Student Day. On Fair Day, two hundred off duty deputies, augmented by members of the Tampa Police Department’s School Resource Section, Hillsborough County School Security, and community action teams will ensure a safe and enjoyable Fair experience. Listed below are rules for the 2018 Student Day.
Rules for Student Day:
- Any Hillsborough County student will be allowed into the fair with their free ticket before 6:00 p.m. on February 9, 2018All students will be required to show their student ID in order to gain admittance.
- If the student does not have an ID, School Security will have their computers at the gates and will be able to confirm the student's identity.
- After 6:00 p.m., all students under the age of 18 must have a parent or person over 21 years of age with them to be allowed “free” admittance.
- One adult can bring in up to 4 students and be admitted for free.
- Any student under the age of 18 that arrives at the fair after 6:00 p.m. without an adult, will not be allowed into the fair for free. However, they can pay for an admission, and they will be allowed in, even if they are not accompanied by an adult.
- A juvenile waiting area will be set up and maintained outside each gate, by fair personnel only, to assist all juveniles who are denied entrance to the fair for anything other than violations of law. Those juveniles will be free to leave or make any necessary phone calls for rides home, if they choose.
- There will be a supervised waiting area for students under the age of 18 that have been trespassed from the fair, at the Orient Road entrance. All reasonable measures will be made to contact the juvenile's parent/guardian by law enforcement personnel from the Sheriff's Office and School Security. In the event a parent, guardian, or responsible adult cannot be contacted, or they refuse to take custody of the juvenile upon completion of the Trespass process, the juvenile will be asked if he/she would like to stay in the Supervised Waiting Area until they can be picked up.
- However, if the juvenile refuses to stay in the Supervised Waiting Area, and is not being charged with a criminal act, the Sheriff's Office does not have the legal authority to detain the juvenile. They will be allowed to leave the property if they are capable of making that decision. If the Sheriff's Office or School Security believes the juvenile is not capable of making that decision, the deputy will maintain custody of the juvenile and hold them in protective custody until the juvenile can be released to a parent, guardian, or responsible adult.
- Juveniles who are held in protective custody, whose parent, guardian or responsible adult cannot be contacted, will be held as a Dependent Child. Hillsborough Sheriff's personnel shall coordinate transportation of the juvenile to the Hillsborough County Division of Children's Services, 3191 Clay Magnum Lane, Tampa.
- Any juvenile placed under arrest for a criminal violation will be either be released to parent, guardian or responsible adult or will be transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center dependent upon the nature of charges.
Security Measures for State Fair:
- Sky Watch Tower with 360 degree camera coverage and Internet capability which allows for viewing in the Command Center.
- HCSO will have access to the Fair Authority's 450 closed circuit surveillance cameras. This allows the Fair Authority and HCSO complete visibility of the Fair.
- (12) – 4-foot platforms, painted bright blue and numbered, placed at key locations to provide better visibility for deputies on the Midway. This also serves as a reference point for patrons’ location should they become lost.
- HCSO Mounted Units working the parking lots.
- Robust HCSO staffing throughout the fair.
- HCSO bicycle patrol working parking lots.