This years Battle of the Belts contest was superb. All of the participating schools submitted entries that were well thought out and represented the importance of safety belt use in many different unique, clear, and relevant formats. Congratulations to all of our participants.
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for American teenagers. In fact, teens have the highest fatality rate in motor vehicle crashes than any other age group, along with the lowest safety belt use rates of all drivers. This rate is even lower when there are multiple teens in the vehicle.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is working with the Hillsborough County School District to increase seat belt use in teen drivers and their passengers by promoting a campaign challenge.
Eligibility is determined by participating in the Seatbelt Compliance Survey and participating in Seat Belt Safety Awareness events during the campaign period of December 09-13, 2013. Please see your School Resource Deputy/Officer for application guidelines.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS LISTED BELOW!!!
*EACH SCHOOL CAN PARTICIPATE IN ANY CATEGORY, AND CAN WIN PRIZES IN MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY
Best Overall Campaign
Highest Percent Seat Belt Compliance
- Steinbrenner High 1st Place: $1,000.00
- Leto High 2nd Place: $500.00
- Newsome High 3rd Place: $250.00
Most Improved Percent Seat Belt Compliance
- Chamberlain High 1st Place: $700.00
- Steinbrenner High 2nd Place: $350.00
- Alonso High 1st Place: $300.00
- Freedom High 2nd Place: $150.00
- Leto High 1st Place: $500.00
- Alonso High 2nd Place: $250.00
- Gaither High 3rd Place: $100.00
- Newsome High Honorable Mention $100.00
- Bloomingdale High 1st Place: $350.00
- Steinbrenner High 2nd Place: $200.00
- Newsome High Special Merit: $100.00
Contacts for Battle of the Belts:
For questions pertaining to the campaign guidelines, please contact the Community Outreach Division at 247-8072.