The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office assisted federal agents on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 with the execution of federal search warrants at various locations through Hillsborough County concerning the storage and manufacture of suspected synthetic cannabinoid products. Typically these products are known as “Spice’’ or “K2,’’ but there are many other names for the products sold in retails stores as incense or potpourri. Some people have taken to smoking these products with deadly results.
Tens of thousands of bags of these products were seized at locations where the product is concocted, dried, mixed with various aromatics and packaged for shipment. Hundreds of thousands of retail-ready packets were seized. There were no arrests at this time as the nationwide investigation continues.
In Hillsborough County, agents also seized drums of 200-proof ethyl alcohol and scores of bottles of acetone used in the making of these products. In addition, authorities confiscated hundreds of pounds of sacks and bales of leafy material and plants such as mullein leaf and damiana, usually imported from the Far East and Latin America. Various other chemicals and powdery substances were seized at the production facilities.
At one production facility in eastern Hillsborough County an employee proudly displayed a tattoo on his arm that he said was the chemical equation of “photosynthesis.’’
Search warrants were served at the following locations:
- Wild Incense Distribution Warehouse-4401 E 10th Ave,Tampa
- Wild Incense Maufacturing Facility-4101 E. 12th Ave, Tampa
- Stop Smoke Shop (Retail Distributor)-10821 N.56th Street, Tampa
- Private Residence-15708 Gulf Blvd, Redington Beach FL
- Jonny Clearwater Manufacturing-10134 Fisher Ave, Suite A-2 Brandon FL
- Warehouse-6308 Benjamin Road Suite #710, Tampa
- Warehouse-6308 Benjamin Road Suite 712, Tampa