What to Know Before You Apply
- Each available position maintains its own unique set of minimum qualifications which may include passing of pre-employment tests, levels of education, years of experience, certifications, etc.
- Read each job description thoroughly to be sure you meet all minimum job qualifications before applying.
- Once you have applied for a position, please monitor your email account and application profile frequently. Some communication will be sent via e-mail and there is the possibility of it going to your spam or junk box. Do not utilize yahoo e-mail accounts. For an application status, please login to your application profile.
- Positions requiring pre-employment testing:
- An e-mail will be sent to you if you require pre-employment testing.
- The Testing Center is located at:
Human Resources Bureau
Employment Services Section
2207 N. Falkenburg Road, Tampa, FL 33619
- Testing Center hours are:
8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Plan on spending 2 hours to complete all pre-employment tests.
- No children or food/drink are allowed in the Testing Center.
- You must be in excellent physical condition to apply for our sworn positions. Your physical condition will be tested through our Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB).
- You will undergo an extensive and thorough background investigation.
- You will undergo polygraph, medical and physical examinations.
- The entire hiring process can take up to 6 months to complete.
- Prospective Law Enforcement and Detention Deputy Trainee positions can only apply to one specific position.
- For additional questions, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the following:
- Sworn Positions - Recruitment and Screening Section (813) 247-0870
- Civilian Positions - Human Resources Bureau, Employment Services Section (813) 318-5300
Below are the required documents for sworn applicants. Please note Sworn positions are Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee, Detention Deputy Trainee, and Reserve II Deputy.
If you are within the State of Florida, they are to be brought to PEB in a yellow manila envelope.
If you are Out of State, they are to be mailed in to the:
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
Recruitment and Screening Section
2306 N. Falkenburg Road
Tampa FL 33619
In addition to these forms, the HCSO requires:
- Copy of driver's license
- Copy of Social Security card (signed)
- Copy of birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or original naturalization papers
- Copy of all documented name changes, if applicable
- Copy of FBAT/CJBAT scores (Sworn only)
- Driving history from all states (can be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicle)
- Military discharge papers (DD-214), if applicable, and last three military evaluations
- Selective Service Registration (Males between ages 18 - 25 only)
- Original (sealed) college and high school transcripts