Chad Chronister, Sheriff
Reserve Deputy Applicant (Sworn)
Please note that the Reserve Deputy position is strictly voluntary.
Please review the events page for upcoming Reserve Deputy Orientation Sessions
Complete and Pass the Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT) or Florida Basic Abilities Test (FBAT).
How Do I Schedule the CJBAT/FBAT Test?
Create a User Profile and Complete HCSO Application. Pre-Screen Questionnaire Using the HCSO Applicant Portal System.
NOTE: Candidates that successfully complete the pre-screen questionnaire will be sent an email notification with dates to schedule the Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA) exam and proceed to the next step.
How Do I Create a User Profile and Fill Out the Questionnaire?
- Access the HCSO Online Applicant Portal at:
- Navigate to the Job Listings heading and click on the "View all open positions" link.
- Review the job qualifications and requirements.
- Locate the Options heading (bottom of page) and click on the "Apply for this job online" link.
- You will be directed to create a "NEW" online user profile. Follow the instructions to create a new profile to begin the application process.
Complete the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB).
How Do I Prepare for the PEB Exam?
- Scan and/email All Required Documentation and Forms Listed Below to email@example.com :
- Copies of the FBAT or CJBAT scores
- Original birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or original naturalization papers
- Two (2) copies of Driver's License
- Two (2) copies of Social Security Card
- Copy of military discharge papers (DD 214), if applicable, or if male between the ages of 18-25 a copy of Selective Service Card (www.sss.gov)
- Copy of all documented name changes
- Lifetime history of driving abstract from every state you held a driver's license (Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles)
- Copy of letter requesting the same will be accepted.
- Driver's License
- Transcripts can be mailed directly to HCSO at:
2306 N. Falkenburg Road
Tampa, FL 33601
Applicants successfully completing the steps above will be contacted by a Background Investigator
NOTE: The application review process may take several weeks to complete.
Complete Personal Interview
How Does the Personal Interview Work?
- You will be assigned to a Background Investigator who will contact you to schedule a personal interview.
- During the interview any areas of concern on your job application will be addressed with you.
- The Background Investigator will review your entire HCSO job application with you.
- Areas of deception are grounds for termination from the application process.
Complete Fingerprints, Photographs and Polygraph Examination
NOTE: Candidates that successfully pass this phase will move forward to the next phase.
- Applicant will be fingerprinted.
- Applicant will be photographed.
- Applicant will submit to pre-employment polygraph examinations. Any information developed concerning current or past criminal history may be referred for further investigation to the appropriate authorities.
Complete Extensive Background Investigation
NOTE: Any derogatory information developed at this stage will be basis for disqualification.
What's Included in the Background Investigation?
- Contact personal references
- Contact employer references
- Contact neighbor references
- Contact friend references
- Contact law enforcement agencies
- Contact credit bureau
Referred for Selection
- If selected, you will receive a Conditional Offer of Employment (COE).
Acceptance of Conditional Offer of Employment (COE)
- Begin final hiring process.
Candidate Will be Scheduled for the Following:
NOTE: Applicants will be placed into a pool of Candidates for the next Academy date.
- Medical Examination
- Pre-Employment Drug Test
- Psychological Evaluation