Download Crossing Guard Application
Point of Contact: Sharon Bates at 813-247-0927
Schedule (Subject to Change)
Part-time; 2 shifts per day: 6:50 am – 8:05 am and 1:40 pm – 2:25 pm (some schools vary). Must work both shifts.
Job Location (Subject to Change)
Various locations throughout Hillsborough County.
Be responsible for the safety of children crossing busy streets and intersections to and from school while maintaining a pleasant, courteous, and helpful attitude toward the school children and the general public at all times.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Provide for the safety of school children at designated school crossings near designated elementary schools.
- Escort children across the street going to and from school.
- Help prevent children from crossing the street during heavy traffic flow until it is safe to cross.
- Report license numbers of cars who fail to slow down near school zones, or who fail to stop for children when signaled to do so.
- Familiarize themselves with the location and purpose of the street traffic signs (such as school signs and speed signs) within the assigned areas.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some knowledge of traffic signals and traffic patterns and behavior.
- Knowledge of basic safety procedures and practices relevant to being a school crossing guard.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use good judgment when interacting with children.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 24 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including drug screening.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
Keywords: 911 Operator, Agent, Bailiff, Cadet, Correctional Officer, Corrections, Court, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Deputy, Detective, Detention, Dispatch, Emergency Responder, First Responder, Forensic, Government, Guard, Inspector, Intelligence, Investigation, Investigator, Jail, Law Enforcement, Patrol, Police Officer, Probation, Protection, Protective, Public Safety, Recruit, Security, Sheriff, Specialist, Telecommunicator, Trainee
- Dental and Vision coverage
- Florida Retirement System