Equipment Mechanic I
Perform inspections, maintenance, and minor repairs on automotive and related equipment.
Non Standard Hours
Falkenburg Road area
$15.48-$25.26 Hourly; $32,198.40-$52,535.91 Yearly
$15.48 Hourly; $32,198.40 Yearly
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
• Troubleshoot and repair various types of vehicles and equipment.
• Assist Equipment Mechanics of a higher level in major repairs.
• Operate various types of vehicles as required to complete proper maintenance.
• Perform preventative maintenance.
• Inspect and adjust equipment used in performance of duties.
• Procure and record required materials and supplies.
• May perform emergency road servicing.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Some knowledge of the materials, tools and methods used in the repair, maintenance, and servicing of a variety of vehicles and equipment.
• Some knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and methods.
• Some knowledge of parts requirements including ordering and recording.
• Skill in locating and correcting defects.
• Skill in the use of shop tools.
• Ability to understand and perform diagnostic testing.
• Ability to operate motorized equipment.
• Ability to prepare and maintain maintenance records.
• Ability and willingness to work in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise level.
• Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, and crouch at ground level.
• Ability to carry up to 75 pounds.
• Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Note: Applicants must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered minimally qualified for the job.
Completion of the tenth grade; and
Verifiable experience repairing and maintaining mechanical equipment such as automobiles, trucks, or lawn maintenance equipment.
Sheriff’s Office May Require
Possession of a higher classification of Driver License to include Commercial Driver License (CDL).
• Possession of a valid Florida driver's license at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
• No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
• No illegal drug use within the past 36 months.
• No illegal drug use after 30 years of age.
• No felony convictions within lifetime.
• No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
• Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
• Successful completion of a criminal background investigation or update including polygraph, reference/employment/neighborhood checks, and medical evaluation.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
• Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
• Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
• Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
• Employee Assistance Program
• Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
• Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
• Tuition reimbursement
• Paid training