Digital Communications Dispatcher Trainee (911 Operator)
Digital Communications Dispatcher Trainee (911 Operator)
$15.48-$26.40 Hourly; $32,198.40-$54,905.14 Yearly
$15.48 Hourly; $32,198.40 Yearly
Schedule (Subject to Change)
Non-standard hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Job Location (Subject to Change)
Completion of trainee and twelve-month dispatcher probation
Perform trainee duties receiving and directing emergency and non-emergency calls and utilizing emergency communications equipment to dispatch emergency response personnel to provide timely response to requests for assistance. Trainees must obtain their First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), FCIC/NCIC, and valid State of Florida 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicator certifications during the probationary period.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
Note: Incumbents function in a trainee capacity to gain proficiency in the duties listed below and become eligible for promotion to Digital Communications Dispatcher upon successful completion of the trainee program.
- Receive 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls, quickly and calmly assess the situation, enter information into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system for agency dispatch, and/ or redirect them to specific or alternate emergency responding agencies or departments.
- Connect conference calls involving two or more parties to render timely emergency assistance.
- Dispatch emergency response personnel using digital and/or analog voice communications equipment, and/or an emergency computer dispatch system.
- Create reports to identify incorrect location information received through the Automatic Location Information system in order to initiate corrective actions.
- Pinpoint the location of emergency/non-emergency calls initiated from landlines or cellular phones using a Global Positioning System (GPS) and initiate emergency callbacks to obtain additional information or to follow-up on disconnected calls.
- Type memoranda and report, duplicate, or edit emergency call recordings in response to court subpoenas and public records requests; may be required to testify in court in order to provide an accurate account of information received from emergency/non-emergency calls for assistance.
- Maintain records and reports including shift reports and operational logs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Note: To be acquired during the training period.
- Working knowledge of Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office policies, procedures, and guidelines; digital and audio communications equipment operation; and the communication center standard operating procedures, regulations, and 9-1-1 system.
- Some knowledge of law enforcement, emergency medical or fire terminology, and effective communication techniques.
- Ability to accurately assess emergency information, make correct decisions, and respond to emergencies in a calm and controlled manner.
- Ability to operate multi-line or computerized telephone, digital, audio, or radio communications equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to locate offices, agencies, or individuals promptly through directories or other information sources.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work effectively with others and follow established procedures.
- Ability to accurately sort, file, and retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical, or chronological systems.
- Willingness to work rotating shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Willingness to perform duties at temporary emergency command centers and locations during periods of local, state, and national emergencies.
Note: Applicants must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered minimally qualified for the job.
A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate; and
A passing score on pre-employment testing.
- Depending on area of assignment, incumbents may be required to possess various licenses or certifications at time of hire or within the probationary period, or obtain them within a specified period of time after hire or appointment to the classification.
- Possession of a valid Florida driver's license at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months.
- No illegal drug use after 30 years of age.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including polygraph, reference/employment/neighborhood checks, medical evaluation, and drug screening.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training
Keywords: 911 Operator, Agent, Bailiff, Cadet, Correctional Officer, Corrections, Court, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Deputy, Detective, Detention, Dispatch, Emergency Responder, First Responder, Forensic, Government, Guard, Inspector, Intelligence, Investigation, Investigator, Jail, Law Enforcement, Patrol, Police Officer, Probation, Protection, Protective, Public Safety, Recruit, Security, Sheriff, Specialist, Telecommunicator, Trainee