Law Enforcement Deputy (Pre-Certified with Experience)
Law Enforcement Deputy (Pre-Certified with Experience)
$23.55-$37.66 Hourly; $51,433.20-$82,249.44 Yearly
$23.55 Hourly; $51,433.20 Yearly
Non-standard hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Various locations throughout Hillsborough County.
Twelve-month probationary period
All candidates for this position are required to possess a valid certification by the State of Florida as a Law Enforcement Officer and be in compliance with FDLE requirements.
Perform law enforcement duties to maintain law and order in designated areas of Hillsborough County.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Patrol assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity and interrogate suspicious persons.
- Respond to emergency calls to provide assistance.
- Investigate incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
- Apprehend and arrest suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Prepare and preserve evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Testify in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
- Control activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
- Enforce traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
- Provide information and assistance to the public.
- Prepare and submit daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
- Transport prisoners to court, medical, or prison facilities.
- Maintain patrol car, weapons, and other law enforcement equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laws pertinent to law enforcement.
- Working knowledge of law enforcement guidelines and criminal investigation methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of traffic accident control measures and investigation methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of court procedures.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms and other law enforcement related equipment.
- Skill in administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to act quickly and correctly in emergencies.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly, and impartially.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority.
Note: Applicants must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered minimally qualified for the job.
Possession of a valid certification by the State of Florida as a Law Enforcement Officer; and
Three years of experience as a state, county, or city law enforcement officer; and
Currently employed as a certified law enforcement officer (or resigned/retired within the last 12 months in good standing) not pending any discipline or under active investigation; and
Successful completion of pre-employment testing including the Law Enforcement Basic Abilities Test (Law Enforcement BAT) and the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB).
Successful completion of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee program.
- Depending on area of assignment, incumbents may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 24 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including polygraph, reference/employment/neighborhood checks, medical evaluation, and drug screening.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be of good moral character.
- Be six (6) months tobacco free at the time of application.
- Must live within Hillsborough County OR live within Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Lake, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, or Sumter County as long as the residence is located within the 60-mile parameter of Falkenburg Road Jail at the time of appointment.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
Keywords: 911 Operator, Agent, Bailiff, Cadet, Correctional Officer, Corrections, Court, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Deputy, Detective, Detention, Dispatch, Emergency Responder, First Responder, Forensic, Government, Guard, Inspector, Intelligence, Investigation, Investigator, Jail, Law Enforcement, Patrol, Police Officer, Probation, Protection, Protective, Public Safety, Recruit, Security, Sheriff, Specialist, Telecommunicator, Trainee
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training