The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is a strong advocate of and is committed to employing our United States veterans. We proudly offer veterans' preference to eligible applicants. These admired and respected men and women uphold many of the same values that are a critical part of our agency's core values and overall culture. There is a powerful reason why veterans are admired, respected and sought out to fill important roles in their communities. Leadership is instilled in their core set of values as well as traits such as loyalty, dependability, enthusiasm, initiative, integrity and judgment.
Am I Eligible For Veterans' Preference?
A veteran or eligible family member must be honorably separated and fall into one of the following groups to be considered for veterans' preference in hiring:
- A veteran of any war, who has served at least one day during that war time period or who has been awarded a campaign or expeditionary medal. Active duty for training shall not be allowed for eligibility.
- Disabled veterans who have served on active duty in any branch of the Armed Forces and who presently have an existing service-connected disability which is compensable under public laws administered by the Department of Veteran Affairs or are receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension by reason of public laws administered by the Department of Veteran Affairs and the Department of Defense.
- The spouse of a veteran a) who has a total and permanent service-connected disability and who, because of this disability, cannot qualify for employment; or b) who is missing in action, captured in line of duty by a hostile force, or detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign goverment or power.
- The unremarried widow or widower of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability.
- The mother, father, legal guardian, or unremarried widow or widower of a service member who died as a result of military service under combat-related conditions as verified by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Current member of any reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces or the Florida National Guard.
We are proud of our sworn and civilian personnel currently defending our country. Hear how these individuals went from defending our country to protecting our community.