News Releases are to be used for informational purposes only.
Information provided should not be relied upon for any type of legal action.
Release Number: 19-304
- For Immediate Release:
- Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
- July 23, 2019
- Contact Person:
- Public Affairs Office : email@example.com
Undercover Operation Leads to 8 Arrests
Undercover operation leads to arrest of 8 Johns
- July 23, 2019
- Time: 10:55 AM
In an effort to curb human trafficking, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office lead an undercover operation on Thursday that resulted in the arrested of eight men.
On July 22, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., detectives conducted a reverse prostitution operations targeting "Johns" in the Town N Country area. Approximately 25 male subjects contacted the undercover deputies. Among them, eight men were arrested for prostitution related offenses.
One of the men, Shavar Manuel (DOB: 09/02/1996), had a young child in the back seat of his car while soliciting for a sexual act. Manuel, a former top recruit for Florida State football, was arrested without incident. The HCSO Child Protective Investigations Division took custody of the child.
"To put an end to sex trafficking and identify victims of human trafficking, it's very clear that something needs to be done about the buyers," said Sheriff Chad Chronister. "Without buyers, there is no business. For each John we take off of our streets, we believe we are potentially protecting a human trafficking victim."
All of the men arrested were taken to Orient Road Jail. The full list of individuals arrested is below. Their mug shots are attached.
1) W/M, Alexander Escalante-Ponce DOB 01/26/88, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Hillsborough Ave/Town N Country
2) B/M, Shavar Manuel DOB 09/02/96, Soliciting Another to Commit
Prostitution, Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, Hillsborough Ave/Town N Country
3) W/M, Luis Castro DOB 06/03/54, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Hillsborough Ave/Town N Country
4) W/M, Carlos Montes DOB 09/19/55, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Hillsborough Av/Kelly Rd
5) W/M, Carlos Torres DOB 05/24/90, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Waters Av/Hanley Rd
6) W/M, Shaun Diaz DOB 01/20/80, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Hillsborough Av/Town N Country
7) W/M, Oswaldo Serrano DOB 11/09/65, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Possession of Cocaine with Intent to Sell, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Hillsborough Ave/Hanley Rd
8) W/M, Daniel Preston DOB 08/19/60, Soliciting Another to Commit Prostitution, Hillsborough Ave/Hanley Rd