What to Know Before You Apply
- Each available position maintains its own unique set of minimum qualifications which may include passing of pre-employment tests, levels of education, years of experience, certifications, etc.
- Read each job description thoroughly to be sure you meet all minimum job qualifications before applying.
- Once you have applied for a position, please monitor your email account and application profile frequently. Some communication will be sent via e-mail and there is the possibility of it going to your spam or junk box. Do not utilize yahoo e-mail accounts. For an application status, please login to your application profile.
- Positions requiring pre-employment testing:
- An e-mail will be sent to you if you require pre-employment testing.
- The Testing Center is located at:
Human Resources Division
Employment Services Section
2207 N. Falkenburg Road, Tampa, FL 33619
- Testing Center hours are:
8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Plan on spending 2 hours to complete all pre-employment tests.
- No children or food/drink are allowed in the Testing Center.
- You must be in excellent physical condition to apply for our sworn positions. Your physical condition will be tested through our Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB).
- You will undergo an extensive and thorough background investigation.
- You will undergo polygraph, medical and physical examinations.
- For additional questions, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the Employment Services Section of the Human Resources Division at 813-318-5300.
Below are the required documents for sworn applicants. Please note Sworn positions are Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee, Detention Deputy Trainee, Pre-Certified Law Enforcement Deputy, Pre-Certified Detention Deputy and Reserve II Deputy.
If you are within the state of Florida, they are to be brought to PEB in a yellow manila envelope.
If you are out of state, they are to be mailed in to the:
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
Recruitment and Screening Section
PO Box 3371
Tampa, FL 33601
In addition to these forms, the HCSO requires:
- Copy of driver's license
- Copy of Social Security card (signed)
- Copy of birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or original naturalization papers
- Copy of all documented name changes, if applicable
- Copy of FBAT/CJBAT scores (Sworn only)
- Driving history from all states (can be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicle)
- Military discharge papers (DD-214), if applicable, and last three military evaluations
- Selective Service Registration (Males between ages 18 - 25 only)
- Original (sealed) college and high school transcripts