In-Town Applicant (Sworn)
If you currently live more than two hours from the Tampa area or outside the State of Florida
you are considered and Out-of-Town Applicant
. Please use the Out-of-Town Application Process
1. Pass either the Law Enforcement or Correctional Basic Abilities Test (also known as CJBAT or FBAT).
Hillsborough County Community College : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact a local testing facility to schedule the exam:
Pasco Hernando Community College : (727) 816-3381
Police Applicant Screening Service : (727) 864-3822
1. Create a User Profile and Complete Pre-Screen Questionnaire.
- Access the HCSO Online Applicant Portal at:
- Click the "Get Started" button next to the job you are interested in applying for.
- Review the job qualifications and requirements.
- Click "Apply for this job online".
- You will be directed to create a "NEW" online user profile. Follow the instructions to create a new profile.
- Once completed, your submission will be reviewed.
Candidates who successfully complete the pre-screen questionnaire will be sent an email notification to submit necessary documents and dates to schedule the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB). The required documents will be sent to you via email.
2. Complete the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB).
3. Complete the HCSO Application
- A link to complete your HCSO application will be sent to your email.
- Complete the HCSO Application in its entirety. Incomplete submissions will not be processed.
1. Complete Personal Interview
- You will be assigned to a Background Investigator who will contact you to schedule a personal interview.
- Your Background Investigator will review your entire HCSO Application with you and address any areas of concern.
Areas of deception are grounds for termination from the application process.
2. Complete Fingerprints, Photographs and Polygraph Examination
- You will be fingerprinted.
- You will be photographed.
- You will submit to a pre-employment polygraph examination. Any concerning information may be referred for further investigation to the appropriate authorities.
3. Complete a Ride Along (Law Enforcement) or Jail Tour (Detention)
- You will be required to participate in a Ride Along (Law Enforcement applicants) or shadow a Deputy in the Jail (Detention applicants) as part of the hiring process.
1. Participate in Oral Review Board Interview
- You will be presented before an oral review board consisting of three ranking members of the Sheriff's Office Command Staff.
2. Complete Extensive Background Investigation
- Your Background Investigator will conduct a thorough background investigation including criminal history, personal references, current and prior employment, neighborhood survey, credit history, and various Law Enforcement Agency checks.
Any derogatory information developed at this stage may be grounds for disqualification.
1. Referred for Selection
- If selected, you will receive a Conditional Offer of Employment (COE).
2. Acceptance of Conditional Offer of Employment (COE)/Medical Evaluations
- You will be scheduled for a Medical Evaluation, Pre-Employment Drug Test and a Psychological Evaluation.
- NOTE: Candidates who successfully complete the final phase will be placed into a pool of candidates for a future Academy Orientation Class (AOC) and academy. Positions are filled based on agency needs.