If you currently live outside the State of Florida, you will skip Phase One and start at Phase Two of the application process listed below.
1. Pass either the Law Enforcement or Correctional Basic Abilities Test (also know as CJBAT or FBAT)
State of Florida Criminal Justice Training Centers
- Contact a local testing facility to schedule the exam:
1. Create a User Profile and Complete Pre-Screen Questionnaire.
- Access the HCSO Online Portal at: www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Careers-Home.Career-Opportunities.aspx
- Click the "Get Started" button next to the job you are interested in applying for.
- Review the job qualifications and requirements.
- Click "Apply for this job online".
- You will be directed to create a "NEW" online user profile. Follow the instructions to create a new profile.
- Once completed, your submission will be reviewed.
Candidates who successfully complete their profile and HCSO pre-screen questionnaire will be contacted by a Recruiter to proceed to the next step after review by Human Resources.
2. Scan/Mail-In Required Documents
- Required Documents
- Copy of Original birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or copy of original naturalization papers
- Credit Inquiry Waiver
- Two (2) copies of Driver's License
- Lifetime history of driving abstract from every state where you held a driver's license (contact the Department of Motor Vehicles)
- FDLE Background Investigation Waiver (must be notarized. HCSO can notarize if necessary)
- Copies of the FBAT or CJBAT scores (if within Florida or previously taken)
- Medical Clearance Form (must be signed by a physician before participating in the PEB. The form expires after 60 days)
- Copy of military discharge papers (DD 214), if applicable, or if male between the ages of 18-25 a copy of Selective Service Card (www.sss.gov)
- Military National Personnel Records Center (if ever in the military)
- Military Affidavit (if never in the military)
- Copy of all documented name changes
- Neighborhood Survey Request
- Personal References
- Residence Information
- Two (2) copies of Social Security Card
- High School Transcripts (original and sealed)
- College Transcripts, if applicable (original and sealed)
*ORIGINAL OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS SHOULD BE MAILED IN TO THE ADDRESS LISTED BELOW.
Attention: Recruitment & Screening
2207 N. Falkenburg Road Tampa, FL 33619
3. Complete the HCSO Application
- A link to complete your HCSO Application will be sent to your email.
- Complete the HCSO Application in its entirety. Incomplete submissions will not be processed.
The application review process may take several weeks to complete. You will be contacted by a Background Investigator to schedule the next steps in the process.
. 1. Complete Personal Interview with Background Investigator
NOTE: Out-of-State candidates will need to schedule to take the Basic Abilities Test (BAT) at this time.
- You will be assigned to a Background Investigator who will contact you to schedule your first trip to Tampa. This trip should last approximately one (1) week (5 business days).
- Your background investigator will review the entire HCSO Application with you and address any areas of concern.
See Phase One section above for details about how to schedule and take the test.
2. Complete Fingerprints, Photographs and Polygraph Examination
- You will be fingerprinted.
- You will be photographed.
- You will submit to a pre-employment polygraph examination. Any information developed concerning current or past criminal activity may be referred for further investigation to appropriate authorities.
3. Complete the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB)
4. Complete a Ride Along (Law Enforcement) or Jail Tour (Detention)
- You will be required to participate in a Ride Along with a Deputy (Law Enforcement applicants) or shadow a Deputy in the Jail (Detention applicants) as part of the hiring process.
1. Participate in Oral Review Board Interview
- You will be presented before an oral review board consisting of three ranking members of the Sheriff's Office Command Staff.
1. Complete Extensive Background Investigation
- Your Background Investigator will conduct a thorough background investigation including criminal history, personal references, current and prior employment, neighborhood survey, credit history, and various Law Enforcement Agency checks.
Any derogatory information developed at this stage may be grounds for disqualification.
1. Referred for Selection
- If selected, you will receive a Conditional Offer of Employment (COE).
2. Acceptance of Conditional Offer of Employment (COE)/Medical Evaluation
- You will be Scheduled for a Medical Examination, Pre-Employment Drug Test, and a Psychological Evaluation.
Candidates who successfully complete the final phase will be placed into a pool of candidates for a future Academy Orientation Class (AOC) and academy
. Positions are filled based on our agency needs.