Support Specialist (Help Desk)
Support Specialist (Help Desk)
$15.00-$25.00 Hourly; $31,200.00-$52,000.00 Yearly
Job Schedule (Subject to Change)
Non-Standard Hours Including Nights, Weekends and Holidays
Job Location (Subject to Change)
Falkenburg Road Area
Twelve-month initial probationary period
As part of the User Support Team, assist employees of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office to resolve technical issues.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Assist inquiries via phone, email, ticket, and in person.
- Troubleshoot and research all technical issues reported.
- Determine source of technical issues (hardware, software, user access, etc.).
- Advise on appropriate action for resolution using technical knowledge.
- Document entire exchange of technical issues and resolutions clearly.
- Work reactively as well as proactively on technical issues.
- Work with current knowledge-based documentation on validity of information documented as well as update current and create new knowledge-based documentation.
- Lift desktops, laptops, and delivered parcels up to 50 lbs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of troubleshooting IT related issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally both orally and in writing.
- Ability to type proficiently while participating in a conversation.
- Ability to engage in active listening.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to accept direction when provided.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time using a telephone headset.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability and willingness to work day or night shifts or non-standard work hours/days.
- Ability and willingness to learn and expand on technical skills and knowledge.
Note: Applicants must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered minimally qualified for the job.
A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate; and
Two years of recent (within the last 2 years) or current experience in a technical support service role; and
A passing score on pre-employment testing; and
40 net words per minute on a typing test; or 133 gross keystrokes per minute with 90% accuracy on a data entry test.
Associate's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technical field.
One current technical certification (e.g., CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+).
- Depending on area of assignment, incumbents may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 24 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including polygraph, reference/employment/neighborhood checks, medical evaluation, and drug screening.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
Keywords: 911 Operator, Agent, Bailiff, Cadet, Correctional Officer, Corrections, Court, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Deputy, Detective, Detention, Dispatch, Emergency Responder, First Responder, Forensic, Government, Guard, Inspector, Intelligence, Investigation, Investigator, Jail, Law Enforcement, Patrol, Police Officer, Probation, Protection, Protective, Public Safety, Recruit, Security, Sheriff, Specialist, Telecommunicator, Trainee, Tech Support, Windows, Telephone Support, Entry Level, CompTIA A+, Application Support, Desktop Support, Printer Support, Hardware Support, Printers, Remote Support
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training