Schedule (Subject to Change)
Part-time; 2 shifts per day: 6:50 am – 8:05 am and 1:40 pm – 2:25 pm (some schools vary, must work both shifts). Monday afternoon early realease hours are 12:40 pm - 1:40 pm.
Job Location (Subject to Change)
Various locations throughout Hillsborough County.
Be responsible for the safety of children crossing busy streets and intersections to and from school while maintaining a pleasant, courteous, and helpful attitude toward the school children and the general public at all times.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Provide for the safety of school children at designated school crossings near designated elementary schools.
- Escort children across the street going to and from school.
- Help prevent children from crossing the street during heavy traffic flow until it is safe to cross.
- Report license numbers of cars who fail to slow down near school zones, or who fail to stop for children when signaled to do so.
- Familiarize themselves with the location and purpose of the street traffic signs (such as school signs and speed signs) within the assigned areas.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some knowledge of traffic signals and traffic patterns and behavior.
- Knowledge of basic safety procedures and practices relevant to being a school crossing guard.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use good judgment when interacting with children.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 24 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including drug screening.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
For more information call: 813-247-0927
- Dental and Vision coverage
- Florida Retirement System